Saturday, July 19, 2014

HAVE A GREAT TIME AT COMIC-CON


Here's wishing great times and safe travels to all who are attending Comic-Con next week. I wish I could be there. I must find some company or publisher who will hire me and bring me out every year. I'd be a sensational booth babe.

To answer yet another question asked of me in private...

I'm never going to tell one of my readers that they shouldn't tell comics editors or publishers that they would love to see Tony Isabella writing comic-book stories for those editors and publishers. I wouldn't mind getting back into mainstream comics with a situation that was a good fit for me and the company who would be hiring me. But...

Don't get your hopes up. Let me tell you something that happened to a friend of mine. No, really, not to me, but to a friend of mine.

When word came that a publisher was going to be relaunching a title on which the writer had enjoyed great success when we wrote, a great many fans sent e-mails and letters to the publisher suggesting the writer be hired to write the relaunched title. They also sent a great many e-mails and letters to the writer himself...and suggested the writer let the company know he was interested.

"What the heck," my friend thought to himself, "I might as well give them a call."

So he did.

When he mentioned he had been hearing from fans who wanted to see him return to the title, the company representative to whom he was speaking - and I can only imagine the company guy with his nose in the air and a sneer on his face - responded:

"Oh, yes, we received your letters." 

The company guy didn't believe that the fans would really send letters recommending the return of the writer to the title. He thought my friend had orchestrated the campaign. 

By posting this blog, I have done far more on my own behalf than my friend did back then. He wasn't believed. His fans weren't believed. It's fair odds whatever editors and publishers you mention me to won't believe you're on the level. I can't do anything about that.  

If you think it's worth a shot, then take the shot. It's your call. I'm not exactly waiting by the phone.

Anyway...

Have a wonderful time at Comic-Con. If you give it a chance, you'll soon realize that it's the real happiest place on Earth. 

Keep watching the bloggy thing for some stuff.

Tony 

P.S. I will not be approving any speculations as to the identity of the friend mentioned in this post. The name of the writer isn't important to the point I'm trying to make.  

1 comment:

  1. You'll be missed this year. I hope to run into Bob and a few other folks that I rarely see. I'm sure that you'll be back at Comic-Con in the near future.

    ReplyDelete