Monday, October 20, 2014

CLEVELAND COMIC CON (OCTOBER 26)

My next comics convention appearance will be this one-day event,  Sunday, October 26, 10 am to 7 pm at the Doubletree Cleveland, 6200 Quary Lane, Independence, Ohio. Guests include Paul Kupperberg, Bob Wiacek, Mark Pennington, Budd Root, Darryl Banks, Bill Reinhold, Linda Lessmann Reinhold and me. There will be other comics guests as well and cosplay guest and judge Ninja Shani.

I’ll be sitting next to Kupperberg, a dear friend of four decades.  Paul and I were arguably the funniest and rudest members of our Brooklyn-based group of younger comics professionals back in the 1970s. It’ll be interesting to see if we have retained those gifts.

I’m also looking forward to see Linda, who I worked with back in my Marvel Bullpen days. I’ve seen her and husband Bill at a number of other conventions, but it’s been quite a few years since I had the pleasure of their company.

There will be a “Tony’s Tips Live!” panel at 1 pm. This is like my Comics Buyer’s Guide columns: a little bit of this, a little bit of that, news, views and reviews. I’ll answer your questions about me and my work and anything else that interests you.

I’ll be appearing on a second panel as well, the format of which is not yet settled. It’s scheduled for 4 pm.

Before, between and after the panels, I’ll be at my table. Except when I’m visiting with other guests.

I don’t know what I’ll bring to sell at the convention. My best guess: copies of my award-deserving 1000 Comic Books You Must Read, a box of Isabella-written comics and stuff, a box of the rare two-sided Superman posters made for the 1988 International Superman  Exposition held in Cleveland and maybe a box of older comics from my garage sale.

As always, and this applies to all my convention appearances, I’m happy to sign anything I’ve written at no charge. I’m also happy to sign Black Lightning merchandise for which DC Comics has paid me my contracted percentage. Unfortunately, DC hasn’t paid me for most of what’s been done with my creation.

Since I’m being a bit of dick here, I also won’t sign any DC Comics history books. Because the writers lie a lot in them and sometimes the lies involve me or things I worked on.

Wow, that took a dark turn.

Don’t worry. I am an incredibly friendly guy and you’ll have a ball meeting me and talking with me...and I expect to have just as much fun meeting and talking with you.

For more information, visit the convention home page.

© 2014 Tony Isabella

2 comments:

  1. I wish that I could make it to the Cleveland con; I would ask Mr. Kupperberg to sign my Atlas of the DC Universe (1990; Mayfair Games).

    Andrew Laubacher
    Buffalo, NY

    ReplyDelete
  2. You shouldn't scare folks off. You really are one of the nicest guys and completely professional (in a good way) when dealing with fans.

    ReplyDelete