Tuesday, October 28, 2014

OHIO COMIC CON (October 31-November 2)

I will be a guest at Wizard World’s Ohio Comic Con, Friday through Sunday, October 31 to November 2 at the Greater Columbus Convention Center, 500 North High Street in Columbus, Ohio. The show hours are:

Friday, October 31, 2014 – 3-8 pm
Saturday, November 1, 2014 - 10 am - 7 pm
Sunday, November 2, 2014 - 11 am - 5 pm

Ohio Comic Con has a pretty spiffy guest list. Among the actors, I spotted personal favorites of mine like Emma Caufield, Nicholas Brendon, Karl Urban, Bruce Campbell and Giancarlo Esposito. Comics guests include Barry Kitson, Kevin Maguire, Michael Golden, Danny Fingeroth and Thom Zahler. I’m hoping to get some quality time with these fine folks and others.

Former Marvel Comics editor and comics scholar Danny Fingeroth has put together and is hosting a terrific line-up of comics-oriented panels to edify and entertain the comics fans throughout the three days of the show. I’ll be on three of them:

FRIDAY, OCTOBER 31:

5:00–5:45 PM
How to Write Comics with Black Lightning’s Tony Isabella, Love and Capes’ Thom Zahler and Spider-Man's Danny Fingeroth (C111)

SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 1:

4:00 – 4:45 PM 1939:
Batman’s Beginning and the Year That Changed Everything (C114)

75 years ago, as fateful events that would lead to the outbreak of World War II in September 1939 were coming together in Europe, the U.S.A. was experiencing, in the same year, an explosion of popular culture. In 1939, Batman debuted in Detective Comics #27; Timely (later Marvel) Comics released Marvel Comics #1, showcasing the first Marvel superheroes, Sub-Mariner and the Human Torch; and Hollywood produced classic films including The Wizard of Oz, Gone With the Wind, Stagecoach and the classic animated film, the Fleischer Brothers' Gulliver's Travels. Discussing historical and cultural factors that made that year so important is a panel including Tony Isabella (Black Lightning; Ghost Rider), Danny Fingeroth (Superman on the Couch: What Superheroes Really Tell Us About Ourselves and Our Society; The Stan Lee Universe) and a couple of surprise guests. 

5:00–5:45 PM
From Cap’s Shield to Agents of Shield to Groot! Marvel Comics at 75 with Danny Fingeroth and Tony Isabella (C111)

The Wizard World folks are always exceedingly kind to me and mine. They always arrange for me to have a table in Artists Alley. This year, you’ll find me at Booth B-1.

I always enjoy myself at the show and so do the many thousands of fans who attend it. This year, however, outside of 1000 Comic Books You Must Be and maybe a few Isabella-written comics, I won’t be selling anything to sell at the booth. Instead...

I’ll schedule times when I will be at the table to sign your comics and answer your questions. We’re probably looking at two or three hours on Friday night and four to five hours on Saturday and two or so hours on Sunday. I’ll post the exact times online when I nail them down more and have them posted at my booth as well.

I’ll also make myself available to meet with artists or publishers, to appear on podcasts, etc. If you want to set up times for these, sent me an e-mail and we’ll work it out. Even without any advance appointment, I’ll do my best to accommodate you. But, obviously, I won’t be able to guarantee that.

When I’m not at my table, I’ll be wandering the convention or just relaxing in my hotel room or at the food court. Never be shy about approaching me, but please understand that I might be involved in something private.

I’m looking forward to this convention and I’m looking forward to seeing old friends and meeting new ones there.

© 2014 Tony Isabella

No comments:

Post a Comment